Committee member selection shall be made according to pre-established criteria, which will include, in addition to the required skills and experience; both slo-pitch and fast pitch certified umpires, representation by population (i.e. provincial/territorial umpire registrations), gender equity, and bilingualism considerations.
See the following Position Description & Responsibilities, and the Selection Criteria. Please ensure this information is circulated to all individuals who would be eligible for the position.
The deadline for applications for the ODC Deputy Umpire-in-Chief positions is Monday, September 3, 2012
Decisions on the final candidates will be presented to the Board of Directors in September.
Announcement of the successful candidates will occur following presentation to the Board of Directors.
Your cooperation in distributing this information to all qualified individuals is very much appreciated.
Send your applications to Donna Ozarko, Softball Canada, firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 613-523-5761.
DEPUTY UMPIRE-IN-CHIEF (ODC)
The following is a list of the job responsibilities of Deputy Umpires-in-Chief.
• Attend Officiating Development Committee (ODC) meetings (up to 2 per year)
• Prepare & develop ODC meeting agenda items in consultation with the National Director of Umpires & National Office Staff
• Provide input to the Officials Development budget
• Provide on-going leadership to specific policy & project assignments for officiating development program area(s)
• Direct the development & evaluation of the Officials Certification program in collaboration with the National Director of Umpires & National Office Staff
• Instruct & evaluate the Officials Certification program & National Umpire School program, as required
• Develop officiating educational resources including, but not limited to, National Umpire School material, SP and FP exams, newsletter information, casebook
• Supervise Canadian Championships and evaluate working umpires, as required
• Provide input into selection process for Umpires-in-Chief and Deputy UICs at Canadian Championships
• Recruit, select, & evaluate international umpires in collaboration with National Director of Umpires & CEO/designated staff person
• Recommend interpretations & amendments to playing rules in consultation with the National Director of Umpires
• Provide input on revisions to umpire mechanics
• Assist with review of officials' equipment requirements with official supplier
• Perform other related duties as requested by the National Director of Umpires & CEO/ designated staff person
Officiating Development Committee
• Minimum Secondary school completion (or equivalent educational background)
• Leadership, planning or administrative experience in a volunteer or professional capacity
• Experience in leading/instructing/facilitating softball officiating programs
• Excellent oral & written communication skills
• Officiating supervisory skills & experience evaluating officials (P/T or National level)
• Softball officiating experience
• Member in good standing with P/T Association & Softball Canada
• Application endorsed by P/T Association
• Fluency in Canada's official languages an asset
• References provided
DEPUTY UMPIRES-IN-CHIEF WILL BE APPOINTED BY THE NATIONAL DIRECTOR OF UMPIRES (IN COLLABORATION WITH OFFICIATING DEVELOPMENT BOARD LIAISON AND DESIGNATED STAFF PERSON) AND RATIFIED BY THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS TO THE OFFICIATING DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE FOR A TWO-YEAR TERM, OR A SPECIFIC TERM DETERMINED BY THE EXTENT OF THEIR AREA OF JOB RESPONSIBILITY. DEPUTY UMPIRES-IN-CHIEF WILL ATTEND ODC MEETINGS AS THE BUSINESS OF THE ODC DICTATES.
THE NATIONAL DIRECTOR OF UMPIRES WILL EVALUATE THE PERFORMANCE OF THE DEPUTY UIC ANNUALLY.